The White Church of Blandford was built in 1822.
It sits high on a hill in Blandford, Massachusetts, a New England town settled in 1732.
This historic building is owned by the Historical Society of Blandford and is maintained by community volunteers. It is open by appointment in the summer and is a beautiful setting for weddings and concerts.
Everyone is Welcome.
Join us for the 21st Annual Bel Canto Opera on August 29!
The Opera will be directed by Eve Queler, Emerita Artistic Director and founder of Opera Orchestra of New York and a 2010 honoree by the National Endowment for the Arts, and accompanied by Douglas Martin. Maestro Queler will introduce new and exciting voices in the wonderfully intimate venue of The White Church of Blandford: Jami Leonard (Soprano), Ewa Plonka (Mezzo Soprano), Thorstein Helgi Arbjornsson (Tenor) and John Viscardi (Baritone).
The 20th Annual Bel Canto Opera Shined
August 23, 2014 – For the twentieth year, Eve Queler, Music Director Emerita of Opera Orchestra of New York and part-time Blandford resident, along with Douglas Martin, accompanist, brought spectacular talent to Blandford. We were honored to host Rochelle Bard (soprano), Ashley Kerr (soprano), John Bellemer (tenor), and Jonathon Blalock (tenor). The audience was entertained by selections from Bellini’s Norma, Franz Lehar’s Merry Widow and Puccini’s Madama Butterfly.
Thank you again to Eve Queler, Douglas Martin and the all of the performers for sharing your talents here in Blandford.
Our Latest Addition
April 2014 – Henry F. Miller has arrived at The White Church to assist in all future musical endeavors that may require his assistance, as a most venerable percussion instrument: a circa 1893 seven-foot Boston made grand piano. There are many fine H.F. Miller-made pianos still in use throughout New England.
Pianist Marcia Eckert discovered Henry – as he – the piano – is reverently referred to – through friends of friends. Henry had lived a fine and happy life in a lovely home until the owner decided to move to a smaller place.
What was to become of Henry?
That was when word reached Marcia, and it was a very quick process from that point on because when she brought the news to the Blandford Historical Society about Henry’s availability, it was already November, and he had to move before the end of January.
Moving forward, Marcia asked area Piano Technician Richard Loomis to evaluate the instrument to confirm its worthiness, which he did. She brought his report to the Society, which approved the acquisition and immediately began a fundraising campaign.
Piano mover Dick Damon from Belchertown moved Henry to The White Church, where he rests comfortably covered.
The Society has been assured that only dry heat would be harmful, and for Henry to be in the unheated building during the winter months would be alright.
Donations to help cover Henry’s acquisition are most welcome.